Search This Blog

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Portland Head Lighthouse

Lighthouses are a relic from the days before Radar and GPS, each one looks and sound unique. Their uniqueness told the old sailors where they were and warned of danger in any weather conditions.


Over the years I have photographed many lighthouse some over and over. Some are close to home and some are far from home. I have visited them when the weather is nice and when it’s been so nasty no would want to be out there. Some times when the weather is in between good and bad you need to photograph in a way to make the image interesting and stand out otherwise you might as well left the camera in the car.


I ask myself how can I make this image more interesting than what I am looking at? In the case of this image I decided to shoot at a slower shutter speed in order to make the waves seem more active then they were. I made a series of exposure starting at 1/30 and going to 1/4 second and chose this image which I believe was 1/15 of a second.


When I was much younger and just getting started in photography I read a book by Les Blacklock said in relationship to photographing waterfalls the the human eyes see at about 1/60 of a second. Therefor if you want blurred water make your exposure at a speed slower than 1/60 of a second.

No comments: