Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Rhythm


I believe that everything has a cycle, I also believe the things we’ve do can create a rhythm within that cycle. One thing I have always tried to advocate is stepping outside of the box or getting out of your comfort zone will help the creative rhythm in our lives.


This past winter I stepped away outside my comfort zone. I spent six months working as a resort photographer covering special events, photographing formal portraits and shooting advertising pieces for the resort. It is true that early in my career I worked in a portrait studio however that was 25 years ago and I had not done a single portrait in almost 15 years. The type of event photography that I covered was something totally foreign to me, yes at first it was a little scary and I was unsure of myself but after the first few images I found my rhythm.

As part of my job I assembled and published in a yearbook for the resort, I had in the past designed and published a souvenir book so there was some familiarity there. I think the combination of money formal training and my job experience definitely helped make this trip outside my comfort zone not only easier but successful.


While it’s been five months since I finish that job, and it seems like I have been in such a rhythm that I could probably put my camera at something with my eyes shut and it would work, I know that’s not quite true. this experience outside the box has refreshed my vision and my creative rhythm. My belief in stepping outside of our comfort zone has become even stronger and I intend step outside my zone on a regular basis. What do I mean by a regular basis, well probably an annual basis will suffice. It dawns on me that the more I do this I need to find other boxes to step into in order to keep it fresh, scary and challenging. If I can do this I think that my creative rhythm will respond in a positive manner.


I think we should all step outside of our comfort zone periodically and then reap the benefits of doing so.

No comments: